Fake, a fashion faux pas?

Is natural beauty a thing of the past?  Casual hairstyles and neutral makeup are set to make an appearance this season, but the look on the street is fake, fake, fake.

It seems that we are no longer getting our fashion styling tips from the catwalks of London, Paris, Milan and New York, but from “trashy reality T.V shows”

A new phenomenon has hit the U.K in the form of The Only Way Is Essex. If you haven’t heard of it, where have you been?

Think The Hills but swap Malibu Barbie for stereotypical Essex bimbos, with skin that looks orange, Hair extensions that look too long and too many eyelashes to ever be passed off as natural.  

The programme appears to be light hearted and humorous of the traditional Essex girl stereotype, but instead of laughing along with it more and more girls are mimicking the fake look.

Unable to comprehend the fascination with looking like you have spent hours in the front of the mirror, I decided to try doing it for myself. Hair extensions, fake tan nails and eyelashes at the ready, I’m ready to go, well more like I’m ready to start.

Diane after spending hours getting ready

6pm: I decided to start getting ready early as I figured  that I had a lot to do to myself, but first I had a glass of wine, hey I was going out remember!

6:30pm: After showering I blow dried my hair and reached for my new hair extensions, I couldn’t help but spare a thought for the poor European girl that they came from. As I began to clip them in I felt a sense of achievement that they were going right, this was short lived though.

6:55pm. I finally managed to make my own hair cover the clips of my extensions, but managed to pull half of them out when I straightened my own hair over the top of them. Note to self straighten own hair first.

7:00pm: I had a short break for another glass of wine, looking in the mirror so much made me thirsty.

7:10pm: I hit the bathroom armed with a fake tan mitt to coat my naturally pale skin with an ugly dark brown liquid, apparently known as self tan.

7:30pm: After somehow getting my hair extensions stuck to my own skin, I was finally bronzed or rather orange, depending on how you want to look at it.

8:10pm: My face completely piled with makeup of every kind and a nasty battle with false eyelashes later, I was ready.

8:30pm: I forgot about putting false nails on, I tried to stick them on, they fell off I binned them.

10:30pm: I went to the ladies in my favourite bar to discover one of my eyelashes was hanging off in the corner; I didn’t bring the glue with me so I ripped them off. My natural eyelashes were stuck together and there was nothing that I could do about it.

11:15pm: somebody spilt a V.K down my leg and my instant fake tan instantly disappeared, I turn into a diva and stormed off home.

Verdict : I hate fake.